Friday, December 2, 2011

Thinking While Working


I do a lot of thinking when I am out and about working by myself.  Today I was thinking about a blog I read last night and how fortunate this young lady was to have the family she does.  She learns from her father as well as her mother all the thing that are important for self sufficiency.  Watching her blog you can see the strong influence of her loving family and the strength of her character.

I remembered how my dad was forever telling me growing up; "Girls don't do that."  "Girls don't wear boot."  Girls don't..."  You all get the idea I am sure.  He grew up somehow thinking girl were inferior.  That is a sad thing because despite him not showing me how to do things he felt girls shouldn't do, I have learned on my own.  I don't think I do very badly either.


When our granddaughters come up I like to get them to help me out.  My hope is they learn a little something along the way and we have great fun while we are at it.  My oldest granddaughter has been helping me since before she could talk.  I still remember the time she insisted on carrying in the gallon milk jug.  It was as big as she was and it took everything she had but she did it.



The girls in my family rock.  There isn't anything we can't do.  You can teach us or we will find a way to learn it on our own.  In the long run, we will prevail.  We can cook, we can shoot, we can build.  We can even process a hog. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I was blessed with parents like that, that taught us to do whatever needed to be done, no matter whether we were girls or boys. Being the only girl in the family, I was grateful for that. It taught me to take care of myself:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have to admit I was ignoring this blog and focusing on the other. I must be more vigilant in the future.

      That is great that you were encouraged and taught to do things regardless of gender. It is a good feeling when you can take care of yourself and you do not have to rely on others to care for you. - Genevieve

      Delete